Mymensingh (Bengali: ময়মনসিংহ), pronounced moy-mon-shin-haw, is a city of Bangladesh situated on the river Brahmaputra. It is the headquarters of the administrative unit Mymensingh District. Mymensingh is the anglicized pronunciation of the original name Momenshahi, referring to a ruler called Momen Shah. The cadet college established in Tangail in 1963 was called Momenshahi Cadet College. The city is known for educational institutions like Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh Medical College and Mymensingh Girls’ Cadet College. Other landmark institutions include Mymensingh Army Cantonment. Also it is related with old Brahmaputra river, handcrafted duvet called Nakshikantha and a rural ballad called Moimonsingho Geetika. Mymensingh city is located about 120 km (75 mi) north of Dhaka which is the capital of the country.
Mymensingh is one of the 16 old district of Bangladesh which was constituted by the British East India Company on 1 May 1787.. Being more than 220 years old, Mymensingh has a rich cultural and political history. At the beginning Begunbari was chosen as the headquarters of the district. However the district headquarters was relocated to Mymensingh when Begunbari devastated by flush flood. Earlier Mymensingh was called Nasirabad. During the British Raj most of the inhabitants of the town were Hindus. From early 20th Century Muslims moved into town. Since then this city has played an important role as a centre for secularism. The Vidyamoyee Uccha Balika Bidyalaya and Muminunnesa Women’s College have played a great role in educating Bengali Muslim women. A majority of first-generation successful Bangladeshi women have attended these schools and colleges, including the first woman justice of the High Court of Bangladesh Justice Nazmun Ara Sultana. However, many Hindu family left Bangladesh during the partitiion of India in 1947. A second spell of exodus took place following the Indo-Pak war of 1965. Many people born and raised Mymensingh have left for West Bengal of India since 1960s. The exodus continues albeit at a slower pace.
* Visit by Edward VII in 1903
King Edward VII made a visit to Mymensingh in 1903. Local Zaminders undertook a lot of programmes to celebrate this occasion. Particularly the-then Zaminder of Mymensingh Babu Abonikanta Lahiri Chowdhury established a school with the name Edward Higher Education School in the same year. The school started its academic activities after being recognized by Calcutta University on January 1, 1903. Later it was renamed Edward Institution. The school observed its centenary in 2003.
* Visit by Rabindranath Tagore
Nobel Laureate poet Rabindranath Tagore paid a visit to Mymensingh for four days in 1926. First he came to Dhaka and from there he came to Mymensingh by train. He arrived in Mymensingh around the midday of 15 February 1926. He stayed in the Alexander Castle as a guest of Maharaja Shashikanta Acharya Chowdhury. The pourashava organized different functions in this connection. He was given a civic reception at the Town Hall. The following day he paid a visit to the Brahmo Mandir which now houses the Mymensingh Law College. Thereafter he went to the Ananda Mohan College and gave a long lecture to the students and teachers. He also paid visit to the Vidyamoyee Uccha Balika Bidyalaya and City Collegaite School. People of Mymensingh generously donated funds for building the Visva-Bharati University by the poet.
War of liberation
The nine month long liberation war of Bangladesh started on 27 March 1971 as people started to fight against Pakistani forces at EPR Camp killing all the Pakistani soldiers, Mymensingh remained free from occupation army till 23rd of April 1971. Despite the genocide in Dhaka on 25th of March 1971, Mymensingh remained calm except for killing of Biharis. On 17 April PAF aircrafts bombed and strafed on innocent peoples at Shambhuganj gudaraghat which sparked violence and killing continues for seven days of Beharis in different Behari camps in Mymensing town killing about 30000 Biharies. Fight against Pakistani forces was conducted by freedom fighters who were trained in camps in Dalu and Meghalaya across the northern border.Mymesingh became free as the Pakistani occupation forces deserted Mymensing on 10 December, and Mukti Bahini took over on 11 December, just 5 days ahead of the victory of Dhaka on 16 December.
 General informaiton
The District of Mymensingh is situated between 24°02‘03“ and 25°25‘56“ north latitude and 89°39‘00“ and 91°15‘35“ east longitude. According to the latest report received (1971) from the director, Land Records and Survey, it comprises an area of 5,039.76 square miles (13,052.92 km2). Mymensingh city is situated within Mymensingh upazilla which is a sub-district.
The city has no officially defined geographical limits. The actual city area is larger than the Municipal area. Since 1980s the city has expanded with fast urbanization. Mymensingh city is clearly marked by the old Brahmaputra river flowing along its north. Some other different ends of the city are marked respectively by the beginning of the Agricultural University campus, the Medical College, Army cantonment and, finally, Sultanabad, a township built for the followers of Aga Khan. A railway line connecting Dhaka with northern districts, built between 1885 and 1899 , passes through the city and divides it into two sides.
Climate and weather
The climate of Mymensingh is moderate. However for proximity of the Himalayas, it feels much colder than Dhaka. The Monsoon starts in May or June and continues till August. It rains heavily and sometimes for days and weeks. During the Monsoon, the temperature varies between 15 and 20 degrees. The temperature falls below 15 °C (59 °F) in winter which is spread over December and January and may well include November and February. Highest temperature is felt during April-May period when the temperature may be as high as 40 degrees. High humidity causes huge sweating during this period. For Western travelers, the best time to visit is between November and February.
The town has not seen expected development since the independence of Bangladesh in 1971, arguably due to proximity to country’s capital city Dhaka. Not a single garments industry has been set up although investment in the ready-made garments sector has seen a boom across the country since mid-1980s. Till early 1980s, the city landscape was characterized by one-story buildings for people’s residence with only a few exceptions. The skyline rose up since 1980s as many four-storied buildings were constructed with loans disbursed by the House Building Finance Corporation. However, construction of commercial buildings is still limited.
As yet, Rickshaw is the main mode of transportation within the city area and the growth of the number of cars is sluggish. Three wheelers have started to ply towards the end of 1990s. Facilities like modern shopping mall or first class hotel for the visitors have been envisaged only with the beginning of the 21st century. Establishment of so-called Chinese restaurants commenced only in the 1990s, reflecting absence of the culture of dining out.
According to available statistics, Mymensingh has a population of 225,811 with male (51.91 percent) slightly higher than female population (48.09 percent). The density of population is 10,392 per km2. Literacy rate is 60.40 percent. The people of the city comprises three groups. First, those whose ancestors lived in the city since nineteenth century, secondly, those who have migrated from other parts of the greater Mymensingh district and, third, people who have come from other areas of Bangladesh. But it also has a small Bihari and a tiny Oriya population who had migrated before partition of India. In terms of religion, most of the people are Muslims (78 percent) as of 2000 with a good percentage being Hindus (22 percentage). Peaceful cohabitation of these two religious communities is notable. According one statistics out of a population of 14,011,991 there were only 67,510 Catholic Christians as of 2004. This refers to whole of the Mymensingh district rather than the city. The top cross section of the city population comprises lawyers, professors, civil and military officials and housewives reputed as social workers.
Universities and colleges
Bangladesh Agricultural University,Agricultural University College, Mymensingh.
K.B.Intermediate College,Mymensingh Medical College ,Community Based Medical College, Bangladesh (CBMCB)],Mymensingh Engineering College,Mymensingh Girls’ Cadet College,Muminunnesa Women’s College,Ananda Mohan College,Teachers Training College, Jatiya Kabi Kazi Nazrul Islam University,Mymensingh Mohila College,Nasirabad College
Mymensingh, Polytechnical Institute,College of Business Science & Technology (CBST),
Alamgir Monsur Memorial College, Shahid Syed Nazrul Islam College,Cantonment Public School & College, Momenshahi Law College,Advanced Residential Model College, Royal Media College,Haji Kashemali College,Bhrammhaputra Residential Model College,Mymensingh Islami Academi & College,B. K. B. College
Women Teachers Training College Schools
Mymensingh Zilla School,Vidyamoyee Uccha Balika Bidyalaya,Govt. Laboratory High School, Bangladesh Railway Govt. High School,Kumer Upendra Bidyapith,Premier Ideal School,Mukul Niketon School,K.B. High School,Cantonment Public School & College, Millennium English School,Mymenshingh ,Cantonment Board High School,Muslim Girls’ High School,Mymensingh Laboratory High School,Police Line High School ,Preparetory High school,Mohakali Pathshala O Uccha Bidyala, Nasirabad Girls’ High School,Muslim High School ,City collegiate school,Sunflower Pre-cadet High School ,Nasirabad Collegiate School,Onnesha International School & College, Millennium International School,
Uduyan High School ,Mymensingh High School,Gohailkandi High School Kewatkhaly High School,Mrittunjoy School,Zilla Parishad High School,Radhasundari Uccha Balika Bidyalaya,Edward Institution Beg International School,R.k High school,Nazrul Sena School,Progressive Model School,Advanced Model School, Prime International School,
Shishu Niketon School, Notun Kuri Nursery School,Shambhuganj U.C. High School, Amlitola High School,Nabarun Bidya Niketon,Mukh-bodhir School,Technical Training Center(TTC) ,Sadar Upozila Millennium Junior School,
Chayapath Nimnno Maddhyamik Vidyalay
Model Kinder Garten, Golgonda, Mymensing
* National Academy for Primary Teachers’ Education (NAPE)
* Swadu Pani Matsya Gobeshona Kendro
* Primary Training Institute
* Teachers’ Training College
* Women Teachers’ Training College
* Veterinary Training Institute, and
* Ihe Institute of Radiation Genetics and Plant Breeding
Postal code: 2200
Regional Telephone code: 091
Electricity: AC 220 volt
The town had its own power generation system which was established in pre-partition India. The power plant called Bati Kall was situated near the District Court and generated DC electricity using petroleum. Towards the end of 1960s, Mymensingh was connected to the national power supply grid with a distribution station at Kewatkhali. There is no more DC power. AC power of 220 voltage is supplied. Mymensingh Railway Junction had its own power generation system since early 20th century which was shut down in 1970s. But now,a 60MW powerplant is established at Kewatkhali.
Maharaja Surjakanta established Mymensingh Water Works, which is the first water supply system of the city. He erected this overhead water reservoir in memory of his wife Raj Rajeswari Dedi. Remnants of the waterworks with its purifying and filtering system can still be seen on the Brahmaputra, near the Radhasundari School. One overhead water reservoir still stand at the Ganginarpar crossing. An underground water distribution system was laid subsequently. Also, hydrants were posted in different places to help the pedestrians. However, hydrants were the source of pure water for all since connection to individual houses did not take place till 1960s. Till 1960s a lot of people would go to the nearby ponds for taking a bath and many houses had sunken wells to collect underground water
The national access code of Mymensingh is 091. The digital telephone exchange of Mymensingh was set up in 2001. It was upgraded in 2008 with a capacity of 20 thousand telephone connections.
Public Call Office
The only Public Call Office or PCO was situated near the Kachari mosque, close to the Women’s Teachers Training College. Towards the end of 1990s, a number of privately owned call centers sprouted all over the city to cater to the needs to the people. Since 2000, most of these call centers use mobile phone service.
Mymensingh was connected to national gas distribution network in 1996. But most people still use kerosene stove or firewood oven. Also many kitchens run on liquefied petroleum gas available in steel bottles.
The head post office is situated near the court buildings. There is a night post office near Swadeshi Bazaar. The outgoing postal items are handled by what is called Railway Mail Service, RMS in short, a post office situated just outside Mymensingh Junction. The postman wears a khaki uniform and carries letters in a leather bag. He walks from door to door. The houses are either without any number or the numbers are not organized in a serial order. Most houses have no letter box. The postman knocks the door and makes hand-delivery of the inmates.
The city is well connected with a road network. However, most of the streets are narrow and driving car is difficult. The concrete roads built up in the 1960s have proved to be good enough to survive next forty years. But other roads are topped with tar and in absence of regular maintenance, coupled with heavy rains potholes and ditches are a common feature. Roads of the city are owned and maintained by the Pourashava. The spinal road of the town stretches from the Town Hall area to the Railway station. It was initial situation but as the city is gradually enlarging,the total length of busy road is greatly increasing.Town service is running but the city population never get the chance to get in the bus as the no.of bus is inadeqate and bus actually runs between peripheral upazilas.
Street lamps often define built-up area of a city. Before electricity was available, street lamps were set up by the Pourashava. These were decorative iron posts about 7 to 10 feet tall with a shade for putting the lamp at the top. A light man would come in the evening with a ladder and ignite the lamps. The feeble lamps mystified the environment more than removing darkness. They were replaced by electric bulbs hanging from the light posts during 1950s and 1960s.
The city governance organization is called Mymensingh Pourashava which comprises elected members, supported with government officials. The head of the Pourashava is called Chairman who is assisted by Ward Members. The Mymensingh Pourashava was established in the year 1859. It was named as Nasirabad Municipality in 1905 and as Mymensingh Municipal Committee in 1960. The Mymensingh Municipal Committee was replaced by a Pourashava in 1972 after the independence of Bangladesh. Mymensingh Pourashava covers an area of 21.73 km2. with a population of 188713. It consists of 17 Mauzas comprising of 7 wards. The mauzas are Mymensingh town, Balashpur, Bhatikasar, Krishnapur, Sehara, Gopalkandi, Kasar, Golganda, Maskanda, Dholadia, Keatkhali, Chak Chatrapur, Rakta, Akua(part), Chhatrapur (part), Boyra Bhaluka (part) and Khagdahar (part).
 Government agencies
Gateway of Mymensingh District Council
There are many government offices as well as regional offices of private companies located here, including banks, a jute mill, a rice mill, and a power plant (RPCL). The main government office is the office of the Deputy Commissioner. Many government offices have established regional offices in Mymensingh since 1980s. Local government is known as Mymensingh Zilla Parishad (Tr. Mymensingh District Council) which is effectively a government organization with the Deputy Commissioner as the chief executive.
Law and order
The headquarters of Mymensingh zone of Bangladesh Police is situated near the office of the Deputy Commissioner. The chief of the office is called Superintendent of Police, close to the Brahmaputra. Local law and order is the responsibility of Police Stations and Police Fari (post). Police has a traffic section entrusted to control the traffic of the city. Officer in charge of a police station is commonly referred to as OC who is often regarded as the most powerful person since can he can arrest a person, held him custody, prosecute in the court or even release him on bail if he so wishes. The second officer is often referred to as Daroga and more often seen around with some constables. The police residential area is called Police Line which is situated on the outskirts along the Mymensingh-Tangail Road near the residence of the District Judge.
Net contribution of Mymensingh to national revenue is traditionally poor for high cost of collection of land revenue. Tahshilders visit the landlords once year serving the demand note which is the tax assessment notice. When industrialization started in 1960s, some excises were collected. The collection of Business Turnover Tax (BTT) and its successor Value Added Tax (VAT) from remains insignificant because of predominance of small size business. Revenue (VAT) from handmade cigarette called Birhi (Bidi) still predominates.
Land litigation is the main category of cases faced by the judiciary. Justice is dispensed by the District Judge’s Court and its sub-ordinate courts. The District Judge is the chief of the district judiciary. Annada Shankar Ray served as the 32nd District Judge of Mymensingh from 14 January 1946 to 3 October 1946.Courts are situated around the District Collectorate. The head of civil administration, that is, the Deputy Commissioner also functions as the District Magistrate, and Magistrate Courts are supervised by him. In 2008, Magistrates Courts were put under the control of the District Judge. It is amusing to note that government did not want that the judges socialize and thereby get influenced. To limit their movement, they were not provided a motor car although in terms of rank they were no less than the Deputy Magistrate, the top bureaucrat of the district. Even in 1950s the District Judge would come to the court riding bicycle from his residence which is about 5 kilometers away near the Police Line. It is in 1980s that the government under president Ershad sanctioned a car for the district judges.
The Circuit House was built up to accommodate the Circuit bench of the High Court which was occasinally sit in Mymensingh to dispense with appeal cases and decide writ petitions. A nicely built one story building with red colour, it has a number of spacious rooms decorated with old paintings. It is the de facto hotel for the government officials and dignitaries since 1950s. It was expanded in 1990s.
 Officers’ Club
The first Officers’ Club was established in the British era on the college Road near the Muslim Balika Bidyalaya. A posh club with a lawn tennis court and bar, in addition to other recreational facilities, was established in the 1960s behind the residence of the Deputy Commissioner, near the park on the Brahmaputra,
Wiki letter w.svg
Please help improve this article by expanding it. Further information might be found on the talk page. (December 2008)
Mymensingh is a sleepy town which retains all the characteristics of a Mofussil town. Life is hardly exciting. However, people from other places find Mymensingh a better living place. The main attraction to them is numerous types fresh vegetables as well as fresh fish. Sweets made by moira is still preferable to confections. Dining out is not a culture of the Mymensingh people. Restaurants cater to the needs of visitors coming mostly for attending court cases, truckers, and other visitors. Morning walk along the Brahmaputra and adjoining areas which was a common feature has been constricted by non-availability of suitable space. Local book-stories hardly stock any foreign book. Adda over tea cup is the main occupation of hundreds of men in the evening. Till 1960s barbers would visit homes with their box of tools. Hundreds of barbershops have been set up since then. In the same vein, washermen would visit homes in the evening to collect clothing till 1960s. Since then a number of laundries have been set up. One important establishment was Zaman Steam Laundry, perhaps the first ever mechanized laundry of the country which was set up in Mymensingh in 1960s. Perhaps most notable changes that have taken place since 1980s are wearing of pantaloons instead of lungi and dhuti by men and smoking of cigarettes instead of handmade Birhi (Bidi) 
Staple food is plain rice with a curry of fish or meat. Normally people start with fried or steamed vegetable and dal, a kind of lentil soup. People use only right hand for eating. No spoon, fork or knife is used. Lunch and dinner have less or similar composition. The breakfast may be paratha, of chapati with fried eggs or halua. Often people squeeze a lemon slice or take additional salt while eating. Salad is not a traditional item. But traditionally people take fresh onion rings and green pepper to spice up the food. Traditional snacks and savouries include seasonal Pitha of various kinds. Restaurants make and sell snakcs like dal-pury, singara and samosa. Chat-pathi, Halim and Shish-kebab are new item that are available since 1980s. Home made desserts include Kheer, payesh and shemai. Wet sweets soaked in syrup of sugar including Jilapi are mostly bought from the shops. Paan, a digestive made out of betel nuts, spices, tobacco, and certain other ingredients, wrapped in a betel leaf in the shape of a crown are taken by many people. Some take aromatic Jarda with Paan. For dinner or lunch, a simple formula is to prepare “Khichdi”, the broth of rice and lentils, seasoned with spices, and served with chutney or pickles. Ghee (clarified butter) may be spread just before eating. The meal may end with sweet curd. Muri (puffed rice), Chira (flattened rice) and Khoi (popped rice /rice krispy)are substitute for rice. They are eaten with Gur (Jaggery) which is a kind of unrefined suugar. They may be mixed up with curd or milk before eaten. 
Bazaars and shopping
The entire area between Durgabari Road and Maharaja Road comprises the traditional shopping area. There are places like Boro Bazaar, Choto bazaar, Mechua Bazaar within this area. There are spots like Jilabpi Patty which is for making and selling Jilapi. There is a spot like Trunk Patty which is dedicated for making and selling trunks made of iron sheet, a precursor of suitcases. The main road from Ganginar Par to the Railway station hosts a lot of shops for manufactured products and clothing on the two sides.
Mosques, Temples, Churches
Mymensingh is one the cities in Bangladesh where people will find band of Hindu and Muslim brothers. All kind of religious festival are celebrated throughout the city with great joy and enthusiasm. During different critical international religious conflicts, people of this city have proved truly what religion means to their life.
Eid gah Maidan
Under the auspices of the governor of East Pakistan Abdul Monayem Khan, a prayer ground was established in 1962 on 27 acres of land, including a pond. Every year congregation of Eid ul Fitr and Eid ul Adha are held here in the morning. The prayer ground is walled on all the sides and has a nice view with cononut trees lining up the sides.
Ramakrishna Math & Mission
Ramakrishna Ashrama of Mymensingh is situated at 182, Ramakrishna Mission Road. RAMAKRISHNA MATH is a monastic organization for men brought into existence by Sri Ramakrishna (1836-1886), the great 19th century saint of Bengal who is regarded as the prophet of the Modern Age. RAMAKRISHNA MISSION is a registered society in which monks of Ramakrishna Math and lay devotees cooperate in conducting various types of social service. It was founded by Sri Ramakrishna’s chief apostle, Swami Vivekananda (1863-1902), one of the foremost thinkers and religious leaders of the present age, who is regarded as ‘one of the main moulders of the modern world’, in the words of an eminent Western scholar A. L. Basham.
Maharaja Surjyakanata set up the first public hospital in Mymeninsingh along the river Brahmaputra. This is now a leprosy hospital. Mymensingh Medical College Hospital is now serving the local people as well the people of surrounding districts.It is one of the oldest and biggest hospitals in Bangladesh. There is a TB hospital close to the river bank. Branches of National Heart Foundation,BIRDEM & other NGO health care providers are also working in parallel. A lot of non-Govt.health services are also available for the people of this district. These are usually small clinics. Very large & extra-ordinary private health care facilities not yet established. Since end of 1990s, private investment in the medical sector has gone up and a number of private hospitals of various sizes have been established.
Graveyards and Shmoshanghat
Situated over about 40 acres of land, the Golkibari Cemetery is the largest Muslim cemetery of the town.
Circuit House Maidan
It is a vast field on the bank of the Brahmaputra, in front of the Circuit House, which is used by the sports persons of the city. It is also used for holding large public meetings.
Since the anti-British Swaraj Andolon, body building became a favourite pastime for the young adults of the town. The Muslim Institute has a well equipped gymnasium since 1950s. Although the zeal and enthusiasm obseerved earlier has significantly died down by 1990s, young adults still visit this gymnasium on a regular basis for a work-out. Pysician Abdul Halim was a renowned bodybuilder in 1960s who became Mr. East Pakistan in a nationwide competition. Farhad Ahmed Kanchon who later became a Member of the Parliament in late 1970s also was regular. 
Women’s organization began with the setting up of Mymensingh chapter of All Pakistan Women’s Association, APWA in short, in 1960s. It was renamed Bangladesh Mahila Samity after liberation in 1971. It has established a school with residential facilities. Bangladesh Jatiyo Mahila Sanghstha, a semi-government agency, was established at the behest of president Ershad around mid-1980s. However it is a Women’s organization probably existed when poet Rabindranath Tagore visited Mymensingh in 1926.
Mymensingh has a long history of children’s organizations, apart from scout troops belonging to different schools. The earliest one is the Mymensingh chapter of Jatiyo Mukul Fouz established in 1960s. Professor Amir Ahmed Chowdhury Ratan, popularly known as Ratanda to all has played a key-role in organizing children’s movement in Mymeinsgh since that time. Other children’s organization include Bangladesh Nazrul Sena established in 1972 and Mymensingh chapter of national organization called Chander Hat established in 1974.
Culture and Literature
The age old Town Hall was demolished in 2006 and is being rebuilt by the Mymensingh Pourashava. It has hosted thousands of drama, meeting and cultural functions since 1878 by Maharaja Surjyakanta Acharya.
Bangladesh Parishad, situated at Chhotto Bazar Road, the regional centre of Pakistan Council in Mymensingh, set up in 1969, came to be known as Bangladesh Parishad after establishment of Bangladesh in 1971. It was a government institution under the Ministry of Informaiton and housed a public library with a good colelciton of books and magazines. The library has 35,656 volumes on all subjects. It also had a hall to hold literary and cultural functions. Till 1980s, Bangladesh Parishad was a hub of cultural activity of post-liberation Mymensingh. It was most active in the late 1970s when Ashraf Ali Khan was its chief executive.
Shishu Academy was set up under the initiative of president Ziaur Rahman in 1980. Its Mymensing office was opened in 1990s.
The first Shahid Minar was built in 1958 on crossing of the Amrita Babu Road, close Mymensingh Pourashava. It was relocated to the Ton Hall premises around mid-1990s.
Amarabati Natya Mandir was the first theatre built in the heart of Mymensingh town in 1930s.Later it was conderted into a cinema named Aloka. The Town Hall became the sole venue for staging a play or drama. Bahubrihi is one of the drama circles that has played a key role in sustaining the drama movement in Mymensigh since 1970s. 
Like eating and walking, singing was part of daily life for most people since the 19th Century. Mithun Dey and Sunil Dhar were two popular music teachers since 1960s. Sunil Dhar established a music school at Atharo Bari Building in the 1980s.
There are five cinema halls in Mymensingh town. Most of these halls are very old but still in operation. Cable TV connectivity was launched in 1999 and together with DVD and VCR, most people now prefer home entertainment. However, on special occasions such as Eid, new year, Puja, and other vacations, people still watch movies in the cinema halls. Aloka was the oldest cinema hall which was demolished in 2006 to make a modern shopping and residential complex. Other cinema halls are Chayabani, Purabi and Shena Nibash.
Muslim Institute library has been the most popular public library, established in 1934. The Bangladesh Parishad library was rich and popular which died down in the 1980s. The local Bar also has a library of its own rich in legal books and journals.
* Folk Ballads: Maimansingha Gitika.
Bharatmihir was one of the oldest newspaper ever published from Mymensingh in British India. Its publication commenced in 1875. After indepedence in 1971, Habibur Rahman Sheikh pubslihed in 1979 the first daily under the name and title Dainik Jahan, following his decade-long trial with weekly Banglar Darpan which had been launched in 1972. He also published a women’s monthly under the title Chandrakash for almost a decade. The other newspapers published from the city include Dainik Ajker Bangladesh and ”Dainik Aker Khabar.  Newspapers published from Dhaka came by train and was available around the noon till 1980s. Hawkers riding bicycle would deliver newspapers from home to home by the afternoon. As the roadlink with Dhaka improved, buses were used for transportaiotn of Dhaka newspapers. Now newspapers from Dhaka arrive Mymensingh by 9.00 in the morning and are delivered to homes by the noon.
Mymensingh Press Club situated near Ganginarpar is a vibrant hub for the intellectuals, teachers, literatuers and cultural activists, in addition to media peoples. It hosts literary events, cultural functions and such other activities on a regular basis. Mymensingh Press Club was established towards the end of 1959. It was set up in course of a provincial conference of journalists and editors of the-then East Pakistan, held on 7-8 March 0f 1959. AEditor of Saptahik Jonomat Ketab Ali Talukder took the initiative of setting up the organizaiton.
Mymensigh had a Sahitya Sava since the end of 19th century. Another literary circle existed which was called Troyodaosh Sammilini. Mymensingh has a vibrant literary circle that pubslishes a number little magazines from time to time. Poet Musharraf Karim, writer Iffat Ara, poet Farid Ahmed Dulal are some of the important pioneers in this area. In 1985, Iffat Ara set up a press in her own residence to bring out monthly Dwitiyo Chinta. Earlier, in 1960s, a leader of the Ahmadya community, Ahmad Toufiq Chowdhury had set up printing press in his residence at Maharaja Road to bring out a periodic magazine title Writupatra.
Reference to Mymensingh has multiple meaning. It may refer to original Mymensingh district comprising Netrokona, Jamalpur and Kishoreganj as well as Tangail. It may also refer to Mymensingh town per se in a narrow sense. Indian scientists of the last century, Sir Jagadish Chandra Bose was born in Mymensingh on 30 November 1858. The name of Mymensingh is associated with people like anti-British leader Mahadev Sannyal, writer Upendra Kishore Roychowdhury and Leela Majumder, musician and a desciple of Rabindranath Tagore Sailaja Ranjan Majumder, Maharaja Shashikanto, painter Shilpacharya Zainul Abedin, ballad collector Sirajuddin Kashimpuri, noveslist Shirshendu Mukhopadhyay who received early education in Mymensingh town , Humayun Ahmed who is arguably the most popular Bengali fictionist, acting president of Bangladesh during the war of liberation Syed Nazrul Islam in addition to three other presidents of the country, namely, Justice Aby Sayeed Chowdhury, Ahsanuddin Ahmed Chowdhury and . Names of renowned politician and author Abul Mansur Ahmed, the-then Governor of East Pakistan Abdul Monem Khan, educationist principal Ibrahim Khan, president Shahabuddin Ahmed, poets Nirmalendu Goon, Helal Hafiz, Musharraf Karim, and Abid Azad, singer Mitali Mukherjee, writers Jatin Sarker, Ghulam Rabbani an Urdu speaking Bangladeshi, author of first Urdu-Bangla and Bangla-Urdu dictionary, played important role to maintain communal harmony during 1964 riots and 1971 liberation war. Golam Samdani Quraishy,writer,founder GS-BCUTA… Shahid Akhand, Helena Khan, and Iffat Ara and several national cricket and football players, Jahurul Islam one of the wealthiest persons of Bangladesh of 1970s are associated with Mymensingh The Oscar-winning Indian film maker Satyajit Ray and Bollywood actress Rani Mukherjee’s family also hail from this district. Taslima Nasreen, the feminist writer and critic of Islam, was also born and brought up here.
Notable residents include teachers, lawyers, journalists, politicians, businessmen, physicians like Late Dr. Sudhangsu Mohan Bhoumick a well known physician in and around Jhansi, UP, India and his late wife Ina and social workers. Ashraf Ali Khan (Bir Protick) a 1971 freedom fighter.
The city stands on the old Brahmaputra which provided river conneciton to different parts of the country. Howeer, the Brahmaputra has dried up and lost navigability at many points over the century due to siltation. Dredging has been undertaken but only on a limited scale. This has drastically affecting the movement of river transports, hampering irrigation of lands and trading activities. During the last three decades, numerous shoals have emerged in the river bed between Mymensingh and Jamalpur. Plying of cargo boats, launches and trawlers which need deeper draft has ben rendred impossible. As a side effect, business developed around the ferry ghats are on the wane. A big shoal emerged in the river at Khagdhar close to the city is being used by the farmers for cultivation. At many places people can cross the river walking on foot
Link with Dhaka
Link with Dhaka with the laying of railway lines around 1865. Road link was via Tangail until 1979 when president Ziaur Rahman instrcuted to open the half-finished new highway between Dhaka and Mymensingh via Bhaluka.
 Bus service
* The distance from Dhaka to Mymensingh is about 120 km (75 mi) North from the Mohakhali bus stop. Nowadays, the journey by bus is very comfortable because of some good quality bus services. This service is locally known as Gate lock bus where no passenger can get in the bus after departure from the bus stop. On the contrary, passengers can get off anywhere after paying the full fair. Generally, it is about 2 to 2.30 hour journey from Dhaka to Mymensingh, though it may take little more time depending upon the traffic jams and other conditions of the road. The Dhaka-Mymensingh highway is one of the busiest highways of the country. Also, due to recent land development there has been an increase in traffic. The pavement conditions have improved as of recent years. During June-July, which is the season of the ripening of jackfruits, the overall travel time may be longer because of vendors selling jackfruit in Mauna, Seed Store, and Bhaluka. The bus fare always changes depending upon the fuel price. In 2006, the fare was around TK.105 (US$1.5) per person which is around Tk.120 ($1.71) in October 2008.
* Anyone can get ticket from Maskanda bus stand, Mymensingh; or Mohakhali bus stand, Dhaka; just before the time of departure.
Shambhuganj is situated on the other side of the Brahmaputra. Roadways to places like Kishoreganj and Netrokona follow through Shambhuganj. The Shambhuganj ghat is situated near Patgudam area wher ferry boat is available for crossing the river to Shambhuganj.
Educational Institutes of Shumbhuganj
Shambhuganj has many primary schools, High schools, Colleges and Madrasas.
* Raghabpur Rahmania Senior Fajil Madrasa: Is a Degree-Leveled institution which is situated in a village area. Which was founded by Mofizuddin Sarker(1902-1976) with the co-operation of the village people. Mowlana Abdur Rahman was its founder principal.
* Shambhuganj GKP college: Founded by Mr. Sirajul Islam. Also founder of a local NGO – Gono Kallyan Parishad (GKP).
* Shambhuganj U.C. High School : Founded by Mr. Aniruddin Mondol.
* Mojhahardi high school: Is the renound high school in this area founded hundred years ago.
Bipin Park is a small park near Bara Bazaar right on the Brahmaputra river.
Situated at the garden house of zamindar Madan Babu at 17 Amrita Babu Road, this is the only museaum in the region. Called Mymensingh Jadughar (museum), which once had the makings of an important regional institution for preservation of locally collected historical evidence, lacks proper preservation. It was established in 1969 at the initiative of the-then Deputy Commissioner of Mymensingh With a view to preserving the rare and unique relics of local architecture, sculpture, metal works, utensils, hand-written scripts on paper and leaf and commercial products collected from the palaces of zamindars of greater Mymensingh region.  The articles collected from Muktagacha zamindar palace include sports items, a flower vase made of stone, a compass, a tiger head, two deer heads, a wooden model of a house, a head of a wild bull, two antique clocks set on wooden frames, two statues of goddess Saraswati, three Vishnu statues made of black stone, a wooden Mahasreedhar statue, Bakharee (an ornament), a sculpture of a dragon and two big cutters, locally known as balchiras. Pottery, weaving machines, ornamental flower tub stands made of wood, three iron shelves and six candle stands were also collected from the palace. Five heads of elephants, a sofa set, two statues made by an Italian sculptor, a statue made of plaster of Paris and a huge shade used during hunting have been collected from the palace of the Gouripur zamindar. A rhinoceros hide and a large round table with a marble stone top are collected from the palace of Atharabari zamindar. The museum’s collection also includes manuscripts, coins from different ages and varieties from landlords’ houses including that of Dewanbari at Haybatnagar in Kishoreganj district. A mummy of a peacock presented Mymensingh Medical College has also been put on display.
Zainul Abedin Museum of Art
The Zainul Abedin Songrohoshala was established in an old house right on the Brahmaputra in 1974. It is managed by the office of the Deputy Commissioenr. However, lack of adequate fund has resulted in poor maintenance and the museum of paintings of Zainul Abedin have fail to properly serve its purpose.
Train is by far the cheapest means to get to Mymensingh. Apart from a number of local trains, several intercity trains Ekota Express, Aghnibina Express, Tista Express, Bhrammaputra Express, Jamuna Express and Balaka Express connect the town with the capital of Dhaka.Train fares range from 40 tk to 120 tk, 0.57$ to 1.71$ per person depending upon the class and the train itself. It takes almost 3 hours to reach Mymensingh from Dhaka. All intercity trains connect the city with Jamalpur town as well. Several local trains run between Mymensing town to Kishorganj and Netrokona.
Ashraful alam restaurant, Hotel Amir International, Khan international, Mustafiz International, Rom III Restaurant and chinese, Sarinda Restaurant, New Young King Chinese Restaurant.
No formally incorporated tax cab company or servcie exists in Mymensingh. However, cars and microbuses are available for renting. Charge for a ride between Mymensingh and Dhaka is around BDT 1500-2000, to be negotiated between the driver and the passenger. One of the microbus stands of the town is in front of the Medical college hospital in the Charpara region and another one is near the Eid-gah Maidan (Eid prayer assembly field) near the Kanchijhuli area.
The district was acquired by the East India company with the Dewani Grant form the Mughal Emperor in 1765. At that time its greater part was included in the Niabat (Sub-Province of Dhaka and a small portion in the Zamindaries of Atia, Kagmari, Pukuria and Patilandaha (of Rahahahi Zamindari). At the time of Permanent Settlement, it included northwest Garo-Hills and the Brahmandaria Subdivision of the Present Comilla district but did not include north Tangail and north-west part of Jamalpur. In 1799 Taluk Amirabad was transferred to Tippera (comilla). In 1809, Patiladaha, situated north-east of the Brahmaputra came to district form Rangpur. In 1811, the river Banar and Brahmaputra were declared boundary between Dhaka and Mymensingh district and the river Brahmaputra and Meghna as boundary between Tippera (now Comilla) and Mymensingh and Dhaka. In 1811 west Gar-Hills were transferred to Rangpur district. In 1812 Patiladaha, was retransferred to Rangpur. In 1830, Parganas Sarail, Daudpur, haripur, Bejra, and Satarakhandal, were transferred to Tippera and Public convenience. In 1855, due to change in river course part or Serajganj thana was transferred from Mymensingh to Pabna and in 1866, the whole of it was transferred to Pabna. In 1866, thana Dewangajn was transferred to Mymensingh form Bogra and thana Atia from Dhaka. In 1867 for the administrative convenience boundaries of five subdivisions (including Tangail) and thanaswere notified. In 1874 on the basis of survey, the district boundaries were notified. In 1874 the Jamuna (or Daokoba) river was declared the western boundary between Mymensingh and Bogra and as such, 165 villages were transferred to Bogra. In 1875, the Brahmaputra was Made the boundary between Mymensingh and Rangpur and the portion of patiladaha, east of the river, was transferred to this district form Rangpur. In 1877, the Jamuna was declared the boundary between Pabna and Mymensingh, in the west. On the first of December, 1969, Tangail subdivision was separated form Mymensingh and a new District of Tangail was formed
Previously, Mymensingh district was known for jute production which was termed ‘golden fiber’ being a highly remuerative cash crop of the country. Due to the high demand for polythene bags and lower use of jute based products, and also other economical reasons, the jute industry has been significantly depressed. Agriculture is the most important sector contributing to GDP, followed by growing service sector. The level of industralizaiton is traditionally low which has picked up in the late 1990s along the Dhaka-Mymensingh inter-distrcit road.
Scientific name of two sweet water fishes have been named after Quazi Ataur Rahman who first identified and described those two fishes. ‘Rahman’ has been added to the third part of the scientific name of the two fishes.
Most of the rivers and lakes in Mymensingh abound in fish. As a replacement for the jute industry, Mymensingh district now produces a huge amount of fish. The increasing demand for fish in the local and global markets creates an opportunity for local fishermen as well as businessmen. Therefore, over the last 10 years, there has been a revolution in fisheries in Bangladesh and Mymensingh was one of biggest contributors. People have changed their paddy fields to ponds, and are cultivating fish. On the other hand, there are some kinds of fish whose growth rate is very high, making this profession quite easy and interesting for people. Traditional fish production, however, has not increased; it rather decreased, due to a lack of interest
With rainfall fishing starts in every paddy field and ditch. The most favoured edible fish are the Rrohit, Katla, Mirka, and Kalbaus: all Cyprinidae, which grow to large sizes in big rivers. One maund is said to be the recor